Pivotal Moments is a 501 (c)(3) public charity on a mission to create inspirational moments and programs for children and young adults facing adversity in mental health and wellness. We align our efforts around three key elements that are critical for sustained positive change: Education, Support and Inspiration.
Mental wellness: A priority worth our attention
- Approximately 1 in every 4-5 youths in America meets the criteria for a mental health disorder. (1)
- Seventy-five percent (75%) of lifetime cases of mental health conditions begin by age 24. Fifty percent (50%) of cases begin by the age of 14. (2)
- Research shows that untreated children with anxiety disorders are at higher risk to perform poorly in school, miss out on important social experiences, and engage in substance abuse. (4)
- 9 out of 10 people with mental health problems experience stigma and discrimination. (5)
- Anxiety disorders are highly treatable, yet only 37 percent of those suffering receive treatment. (6)
- Stigma and discrimination against patients and families prevent people from seeking mental health care. (7)
Meet Our Team
Meet our program leadership team. While only program leadership are represented here, we are grateful to the entire staff dedicated to making Pivotal Moments a success.
Robert serves as the President of Pivotal Moments and as the CEO of Talaria Media. Talaria Media is behind Pivotal Plays®, a media production platform for TV, digital, mobile, radio and live events that focus on sharing the most pivotal moments in peoples’ lives across the globe. Robert is the co-founder, Board Director and Executive Advisor of MorganFrankin Consulting and served as its CEO from its creation in 1998 until 2013. While at MorganFranklin he served in numerous philanthropic leadership positions in the Washington DC Region including the Wounded Warrior Project, Leukemia Lymphoma Society, American Heart Association, and others.
Jeana’s commitment to making a positive impact on the lives of others is evident in her personal involvement with numerous charitable organizations. Jeana feels blessed to have turned her compassion for helping others into a prominent part of her career. She has been actively involved with various charities for more than 16 years, raising more than $6 million throughout her career. Jeana began her career as Director of Special Events with the American Cancer Society in Princeton, NJ, before working for the American Heart Association and Greater Washington Sports Alliance. What's Jeana's Light Bulb Moment? Watch it here.
Erik is a marketing leader who has spent over 20 years delivering employee-centered marketing and business development strategies in the Washington DC region. He has a penchant for big ideas that tap into the human spirit in order to build business and distinguish brands. Erik provides Pivotal Moments with marketing and strategic support to get the word out on our mental health mission, fundraising goals and positive impact. Erik is also the CEO and co-founder of GoodSeeker, a software solution for companies who want to discover and promote more positive workplace content to build their culture and brand.
OUr Campaign: Pathways to a Healthy Mind
The money we raise as a non-profit goes to supporting a comprehensive campaign to educate, inspire, and support people in our communities who are helping young adults overcome mental health adversity. This includes peers, parents, coaches, teachers and other positive influencers who can make a difference.
- Educate: We are developing a digital learning platform called Mental Health Edu that will be implemented in high schools across the country. Mental Wishing Wellness is a site that will help people find he inspiration, ideas and resources needed to develop a healthy mind.
- Inspire: We are developing an Upstanding Citizen program for young adults who want to stand up for positive behaviors, and against behaviors that harm the mental well-being of others.
- Support: A portion of the money we raise is given to organizations who offer therapies and treatments to people who can not afford them.
Supporting Charities & Partners
The Pivotal Moments Team and volunteers provide time, talent and treasure to support the following organizations. Together with our partners we seek to remove the obstacles children face in education, health and wellness.
EVERFI, Inc. is a leading education technology company based in Washington, DC. The company's learning solutions give organizations everywhere a unique opportunity to instill knowledge around critical topics in the classroom and community.
John’s Toast is a celebration of life, love and laughter that brings anyone participating a few moments of carefree reflection to their life. It’s a moment in time to remember those who are no longer with us while strengthening bonds with those still here.
Mizuno Capitol Hill Volleyball Classic
Over the last 12 years, the Capitol Hill Volleyball Classic has hosted 7,686 teams and 88,855 young women in what is the largest girls’ volleyball tournament in the country over President’s Day weekend.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) was founded in 1949 and is the world’s largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research, education and patient services.
Throughout the year we host events and act as a charitable campaign partner with various organizations to raise funds for Pivotal Moments.
Ken Harvey's Inagural Gridiron Rivalry Golf Classic
April 16, 2018
TPC Potomac at Avenel Farm, Montgomery County MD
One of the greatest rivalries in pro football history is revisited at the Gridiron Rivalry Golf Classic. The tournament includes former players from Washington and Dallas. Sponsorships and limited threesomes available.
Past: The Mizuno Capitol Hill Volleyball Classic
February 17-19, 2018
Walter E. Washington Convention Center, Washington, D.C.
We were thrilled to support the Mizuno Capitol Hill Volleyball Classic. This year we partnered with organizers to increase awareness for mental wellness and to raise funds for our mental wellness digital learning platform.
Past: Fundraising Charity Roast
Washington D.C.| Details to be announced.
Past: An intimate evening with O.A.R.
October 23, 2017
The Underground | 820 Hamilton St. Charlotte, NC.
John’s Toast hosted an acoustic O.A.R. show on October 23, 2017 to benefit Pivotal Moments. The band entertained guests while raising funds to build an online educational platform, created by EverFi, benefiting kids, teenagers, young adults, and their support systems facing the challenge of mental wellness.